Movie on Netflix Snowpiercer Hollywood Movie Details and Reviews
“Snowpiercer” is a 2013 science fiction action film directed by Bong Joon-ho and based on the French graphic novel “Le Transperceneige” by Jacques Lob, Benjamin Legrand, and Jean-Marc Rochette. The film was later adapted into a TV series of the same name.
Snowpiercer Hollywood Movie Summary
The movie is set in a future where the Earth has become a frozen wasteland after a failed attempt to counteract global warming. The only survivors are the passengers on a massive, self-sustaining train called the Snowpiercer, which constantly circles the globe. The train is divided into different classes, with the wealthy and powerful living in the front cars, and the poor and oppressed living in the tail section.
The story follows Curtis (Chris Evans), a member of the lower class, as he leads a rebellion against the oppressive regime of the train’s creator and leader, Wilford (Ed Harris). Along with his mentor Gilliam (John Hurt) and a few other allies, Curtis fights his way through the train, facing numerous obstacles and dangers along the way.
As the rebels move through the train, they encounter various other characters, including Tanya (Octavia Spencer), a mother searching for her son, and Namgoong Minsu (Song Kang-ho), a drug-addicted security expert who can help them bypass certain security measures. They also encounter the train’s propaganda minister, Mason (Tilda Swinton), who serves as a mouthpiece for Wilford and attempts to maintain order through fear and intimidation.
As Curtis and his group continue their journey, they uncover secrets about the train’s true purpose and Wilford’s intentions. In the end, Curtis faces a difficult choice that will determine the fate of both himself and the remaining survivors on the train.
The film is notable for its stunning visuals and intense action sequences, as well as its commentary on social inequality and the dangers of unchecked power.
Hollywood Movie Snowpiercer Reviews
“Snowpiercer” has received generally positive reviews from both audiences and critics. The film currently holds a 95% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 267 reviews, with an average rating of 8.4/10. Here are some of the highlights from reviews:
- The Hollywood Reporter’s Todd McCarthy called it “a classic futuristic parable in the spirit of Fritz Lang and Stanley Kubrick.”
- The New Yorker’s Richard Brody praised the film’s social commentary, saying it “transforms a thriller plot into a complex allegory of class struggle.”
- Variety’s Justin Chang described the movie as “a dazzling work of dark imagination,” noting that it “melds its disparate elements into a thrillingly singular whole.”
- The Guardian’s Peter Bradshaw called it “a hugely ambitious, visually stunning and richly satisfying spectacular.”
- The New York Times’ A.O. Scott praised the film’s director, saying “Bong Joon-ho… has the talent and confidence to pull off an intricate and daring act of genre synthesis.”
Overall, “Snowpiercer” has been widely praised for its impressive visuals, intense action sequences, and thought-provoking social commentary.